One of the main reasons why scented candles are bad for you is because of the paraffin that is used in creating them. Paraffin releases chemicals that can cause cancer when it is burned. Although most people don’t realize it, it is a waste product that is produced in the petroleum industry. Burning a paraffin candle in the home is similar to running a diesel engine in your house and breathing the fumes. The effects of burning this type of candle can be severe and can lead to cancer and respiratory problems, such as asthma.
All-natural candles, on the other hand, are made with soy wax. You can burn these candles in the home and enjoy what they have to offer without worrying about the negative effects that are produced with paraffin candles. This is not only going to be seen in your health, it is also seen in the cleanliness with which they burn. Many paraffin candles produce black soot that can be seen in the direct area where they are burning but it will also be throughout the home. Soy candles, on the other hand, are clean burning.
Another part of the candle that you should consider is the wick. Many of the commercial candle companies use wicks that have lead cores. Most of us are familiar with the fact that lead is bad for you and burning lead in the home can release chemicals that will end up in your lungs. In choosing all-natural candles, you will be using a wick that is lead-free and will not produce the same problems when it is burning.
The scent of the candles should also be considered when making your choice. There certainly are many commercial candles that smell wonderfully when they are burning but that doesn’t mean that they are burning cleanly. Those scents are produced chemically and artificially. That is why many people are unable to burn candles because it causes an allergic response. Natural candles, however, use natural ingredients to create the scents that you will enjoy.
Along with those problems that may occur with many commercial candles, you should also consider the other toxic chemicals that may be in the candle. There is a long laundry list of dangerous chemicals that can cause reactions in the body that are severe. Quite obviously, making the right choice in the candle that you burn is going to benefit you and your family.