Your kidneys are two fist sized organs located in your lower back. Although we are generally born with two kidneys, you only need one functioning kidney to live a normal, healthy life.
Kidneys work hard to keep your body healthy and their remarkable functions include:
- Filtering waste out of 200 liters of blood daily
- Regulating the body’s salt, potassium and acid content
- Removing drugs from the body
- Balancing the body’s fluids
- Releasing hormones that regulate blood pressure
- Producing an active form of vitamin D
- Controlling production of red blood cells.
Kidney disease means that the kidneys are damaged and can’t filter blood they way they should. Main causes of kidney disease include: high blood pressure, diabetes, recurrent kidney infections that may have caused scarring, inherited diseases, overuse of over-the-counter pain medications, illegal drug use and traumatic injury. Symptoms of kidney disease may not be detectable until the disease has progressed. …