However, one must remember that they are not alone and that gym anxiety plagues millions of people across the globe. One grapples with gym anxiety when one is not confident about their looks and unsure about how to use a particular gym equipment. Nevertheless, there are ways to combat this issue. Some of these are:
- Taking a group fitness class – Taking a group fitness class can greatly alleviate the anxiety one has in the initial few days of joining a gym. It can be comforting to know that everyone around is new and that everyone is getting to know each other. The friendliness that pervades such classes can easily take the stress out of the situation.
- Focusing on your workout – When one is focused on their workout, they are least bothered by what others think about them. One must focus on achieving something every day, no matter how small a milestone is. If one is in need of better focus, one might plug in their headphones and listen to their favorite playlist.
- Talking to the fitness instructor – Instead of missing out on exercises, wondering how to do them or shirking from using an exercise machine because of lack of knowledge, it is better to talk to the fitness instructor. These professionals would be more than willing to extend help. Therefore, do not shy away from asking them in case of a doubt.
- Avoiding going solo – Instead of marching up the driveway of a gym solo, one can make an entry with a friend or a companion. This can greatly boost one’s morale and alleviate the stress of joining a gym alone. Further, the thought of spending some quality time with the friend would keep one motivated and ensure that they attend the gym regularly. Setting fitness goals would also help.
- Exercising or not during peak hours – Peak hours may get quite stressful due to the rush. Therefore, one must avoid that time to derive maximum benefit of visiting a gym. Schedule your gym visit in the wee hours of the morning, late afternoon, or late evening to avoid the rush hour and exercise at your will and time. On the other hand, visiting a gym during peak hours can be helpful if someone wants to learn about how different people use different equipment.